Saturday, June 2, 2007

Dan, Dan The Surgery Man Update #6

Happy Saturday!
Bath time this morning.

Here is Dan with his nurse Denise and Patient assistant Devi. The removed the bandage over his stapled incision and have a special "cap" type shampoo. Devi put the cap on and gently massaged his scalp to clean his hair and incision. Dan reminded her: "Remember I had brain surgery. My brain is stapled in up there." Devi replied that she was very gently rubbing his scalp. He responded: "If you feel any chunks of my brain come out you will stop right?" She just laughed.


Dan clowning around at bath time.

Dan had a pretty good night last night. Still making baby steps towards recovery. Doesn't have much appetite still and continued pain, but through it all his wit and sense of humor continue to shine through. His physical therapist Tui, came by and they went for quite the walk! Here they are off down the hall (note Dan's new Post Surgical Hair-do.) She had to re-adjust his walker three times cause he is such a "tall drink of water".
Dan out for his jog with Tui the physical Therapist. He says he is up to at least 4 miles! (They didn't measure today.)

Dan was happy I spent the night last night to "protect him from all the 'hospital vampires'. We have decided that I will sleep at home tonight and come back early tomorrow. I told him I was willing to stay, but he feels confident enough that he can speak for himself now. (Even though he doesn't always make sense--at one point he thought our beloved "Commander in Chief" was Bill Clinton. A minute later he said, that's not right, oh yeah it is really "George W. Shrub".

Of course here I am the "faithful wife".

Scroll down if you want to see a picture of Dan's incision. He has staples that run from his right ear all the way to the top of his head. Warning...Not for the faint of heart! Actually, once healed you will never really notice it since it is pretty much all behind his hair line.

Here it is in all its glory!

1 comment:

Nate Hanson said...

Uncle Dan and Aunt Kathy! I just got the blog address from my mom - very cool. Thanks for the updates. I guess since everything turned out great I'll need to inform our church they can stop praying for you...or maybe I'll let them run with it for a while...couldn't hurt.

Praise God for your successful surgery. Say hi to our cousins for us, we've been praying for them too! Thanks for doing the blog, Kathy!

Nate and Gretchen (Luke sends his regards as well)